As a child one of the most exciting parts of your day was the moment you got to enjoy your efficiently packed lunchable. So, what exactly makes lunchables so exciting?
They are convenient, they can be individualized based on your taste and nutritional preferences, they are balanced and frankly they are just plain fun, especially when they include a sweet treat in them. All of these qualities can easily be carried on into an adult type lunchable that can also be nostalgic. Prepping these servings of food for the workweek will not take long at all, here are some very easy to make meals to get you started:
- Crackers with swiss cheese and ham
- Flour tortilla with pulled chicken, sharp cheddar and salsa (this one can be made into a mini taco lunch or the tortillas can be cut into mini triangles to place the chicken, sharp cheddar cheese and salsa on top)
- Bagel crackers with salami, white cheddar, and kalamata olives
- Pita chips with hummus and crumbled feta cheese
- Crackers with tuna salad or egg salad
- Tomato, basil and mozzarella skewers with a side of balsamic vinaigrette
- Pretzel crackers with turkey meat and cheddar cheese
- Celery sticks with peanut butter and hard-boiled eggs
All of these meals can be individualized to meet whatever food preferences you have. Simply add a variety of fruit and vegetables to any of them. Investing in a lunchbox that is compartmentalized to hold each food separately would be very beneficial!
If you want to get really nostalgic you can always throw in a capri sun!
By Marisa Stratton, Dietetic Aide at DietitiansABQ